WEST OF ROCKY MTN. HOUSE
- 2 cozy cabins for rent
- gentle horses on the pasture to pet
and bunnies and Longhorns to visit
- view to the Rockies from the cabin's porch
- bordering Crimson Lake Provincial Park
- 18 min drive from Rocky Mountain House
- campfire fun, star filled skies
1 Bedroom/ 1 Bathroom cabin for 1-2 adults
(1 queensize bed + 1 twin size bed)
* child for free, but bring child's own bedding)
1. Night $160
2. Night $150
3. Night $140
4. Night $130
5. Night $120
6. Night $110
7. Night $100
8. Night $90
9. Night $80
(second room/bathroom will be locked and unoccupied; the whole porch is yours to use)
2 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom cabin for 2 - 4 adults
(2 queensize beds + 2 twin size beds)
* children for free, but bring their own bedding
1. Night $320
2. Night $300
3. Night $280
4. Night $260
5. Night $240
6. Night $220
7. Night $200
8. Night $180
9. Night $160
2 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom cabin
Family discount for a
family of a maximum of 2 adults and children
(2 queensize beds + 2 twin size beds)
*bedding for 4 , extra children for free, but bring their own bedding
1. Night $240
2. Night $225
3. Night $210
4. Night $195
5. Night $180
6. Night $165
7. Night $150
8. Night $135
9. Night $120
- Sorry, no pets due to allergies and our ranch animals
- check in 4pm ; check out 11am
(sometimes earlier check in and /or check out at noon is possible, ask Kathy short notice)
- a $75 non-refundable downpayment by etransfer confirms a booking.
If guests cancel and we can rent out to somebody else,
$50 will be returned
- Balance due 1 week before arrival by etransfer, if guests need to cancel after the balance payment, the amount paid minus $75 will be returned
- no wifi at the ranch, but cell phones work
- sorry, no Sunday arrival (but Sunday night can be included in a longer stay)
-November and December each year : only 1 bedroom/1 bathroom cabin is open for 1 or 2 adults. 20% off the listed rates.
* horses to pet anytime
* bordering Crimson Lake Provincial Park
What guests love about the cabin:
* to have a glamping experience (glamorous camping) in a cozy warm cabin with bathroom, yet being outdoors lots including cooking outside at the gas BBQ and over the fire
* time to bond as a family, couple or friends ; quality time away from electonics (no Wi-Fi at the ranch)
What guests love about the ranch setting:
* the gorgeous view over the horsepasture , vast forest, to the Rocky Mountains in the distance
* campfires and seeing all the stars at night, away from city lights
Do you have a question about the cabin(s) ? Kathy will be happy to help !
Simply text Kathy at 403 846 7657
Our mailing address:
Kathy and Marty Rissi
Ride the Wind Ranch
Site 145, Comp 2, RR# 4
Rocky Mountain House, AB, T4T 2A4 , CANADA
Range Road 8-3, Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
Directions from Rocky Mtn House: - HWY#11 West for 9km - turn Right , HWY#756 - drive for 4.5 km - turn left (West) , drive 5.5 km (this road will turn into a gravel road) - turn left at RR# 8-3 - drive 1.5 km until the Ranch (right side)
We have 6 gentle horses on the pasture for guests to go visit and pet anytime.
Guests are also very welcome to bring along carrot and apple treats and give it to the horses along the fence close to the cabins.
Horseback riding in summer is a 5 min drive from us (1/2, 1 and 2 hours rides) or out West are places to go on a day horseback ride.
Sorry, we are not set up for guests to bring animals such a
We have seven Texas Longhorn cows for guests to look at. They were all born at our ranch, the oldest, "California" is already 19 years old, the youngest, "Indian Summer" is 7 years old.
Our cabin rental guests are very welcome to explore the whole ranch, walk on the pastures and visit all animals on their own. Or if they like, ask Kathy and Marty to come along on a walk on the pasture and telling
Guests are very welcome to feed our cute bunnies carrots through the fence or come along with Kathy in the mornings into the pen to feed the bunnies
Cabin rental guests petting the gentle horses on the pasture
Cooking at the cabin is outdoors (no kitchen); each cabin has it's own gas BBQ grill with side burner on the covered porch. Frying pans and small pots are supplied for the BBQ grill side burner. Each cabin has it's own campfire site with roasting sticks.
Also in each cabin: small fridge, toaster, coffee maker, hot water kettle (tab water is tested drinking water), dishes, mugs, wine glasses, salad
The cabins are cozy warm, heated by hot air furnace, for those chilly mornings.
Bedding and towels are provided (2 sets of pillows, 1 duvet per person, bathroom towels and beach towels)
What to bring: if you book with children in your room= children are for free if you bring what you think they need such as bedding, towels, dishes
Besides the cozy cabins, the beautiful view over the West Country to the distant Rocky Mountains; visiting the ranch animals is the biggest draw for Ride the Wind Ranch guests.
We don't offer horseback riding, you can contact Kathy to get info on places for riding.
In summer the closest trail riding place is a 5 minutes drive from the ranch. Also great places in the Rockies for day trail rides.
Each of the 2 cabins has 2 separate sides with a private bathroom, no indoor connecting door, the doors go out on the shared covered porch.
If 2 persons book a "1 room/1 bathroom cabin", the other room will be locked and unoccupied. the whole porch can be used.
Each cabin has it's campfire site on the far end, giving privacy.
Small groups are welcome to book both cabins, a maximum of 8 adults if
The ranch cabins ranch are great for a romantic couples get-away or a friends' fun holidays or for a single traveler to energize and relax.
Families are very welcome, there is lots of outdoor space for children to spend the day; play in the sheriff's office, the play fort, play soccer, explore the forest trail, roast marshmallows, give the horses and bunnies a carrot.
No Wi-Fi at the ranch, perfect
- Can we bring our dog, cat, horse etc?
" sorry, due to consideration to our ranch animals, other guests and allergies
we are not set up for guests' animals"
- Can we ride horses at your ranch?
" we don't offer horseback riding, but there are several trail riding places in the area where you can book a ride. Our gentle horses are on the pasture to be petted anytime you like"
- Does your cabin have a kitchen and a microwave?
" no kitchen+ no microwave in the cabins; guests use the gas BBQ with side burner on the covered porch. Frying pans and pots are provided. Or cook over the campfire. The cabin has a small fridge, toaster, dishes, mugs, wine glasses, coffee maker, hot water kettle, coffee and tea supplies, salt and pepper, salad bowl, whisk, can opener"
- is there Wi-Fi at the ranch?
" we don't have Wi-Fi at the ranch; guests enjoy to unplug. But cell phones work. It is a great way to be away from electronics, being outdoors, on a rainy day play a board or card game, read a book"
- Can we book our wedding at your ranch?
" we are too small for a wedding, unless it is an elopement. Renting both cabins for 4-8 adults will give you great privacy, you will be the only guests at our ranch. Kathy can recommend very nice marriage commissioners that would come to our ranch to hold the ceremony"
- Do we have our privacy?
"yes, it is self check-in by key box code. The cabin and surrounding will be your very private space during your stay. No housekeeping during your stay.
You might see Kathy and Marty fixing a fence or sitting on their ranch house porch or petting their horses; you are always very welcome to come for a chat. Or for questions send off a text message"
- Is the Gas BBQ grill and everything else clean?
" Kathy cleans everything thoroughly, guests are happy how clean everything is. The gas BBQ is completely cleaned before guests' arrival. "
- How early can we book for next year and how early to you book up for summer?
" You are welcome to book anytime for next year. As of fall 2022 I already had several weekends of the 2023 summer booked. As well as some full weeks bookings. Sometimes I get cancellations and have a cabin available short notice ."
-5 min drive to Crimson Lake Provincial Park with hiking trails and a sandy beach (photo left side)
- 10 min drive to Twin Lakes with sightseeing, walking trails, fishing (photo right side)
- 18 min drive to the National Historic Site (fur trade and metis history)
- 18 min drive to Rocky Mountain House : town museum, restaurants, shopping
- 14 min drive to Pine Hills Golf Course
A daytrip into the Rocky Mountains from Ride the Wind Ranch:
- 1 hour drive to Crescent Falls (photo top left) *Crescent falls is closed June 2023 to June 2024
- a good hour drive to Abraham Lake (photo top right and bottom left)
- 1 1/2 hour drive to parking for Siffleur Falls hike; a favourite in the Kootenay Plains (photo bottom right of the Siffleur River Canyon)
There are many more hiking trails
Your Cabin host Kathy and Marty live in the ranch house near the cabins, they are very happy to welcome you to the ranch.
5 min drive to Crimson Lake Provincial Park : a lovely 10 km hiking trail around the lake, mostly in the forest
OR shorter parts can be done: Going West a half hour walk to a pretty pond or starting out East a lovely half hour walk to the boardwalks on the grassy shores of the lake
A long daytrip from the ranch to either Banff National Park or Jasper National Park:
It is a an hour drive to Abraham Lake region, already in the Rockies, but not a National Park yet, still very lovely. To the border of the National Park it is a 1 hour 50 min drive, you will enter Banff National Park and from there decide to drive South on the Icefield Parkway towards Bow Lake, Lake Louise and con
Rocky Mountain House and nearby:
- great variety of restaurants to dine in or take out and reheat on the cabin's BBQ:
*Grillers : family restaurant, tasty meals
*Restaurant 19 (terrace at the Pine Hills Golf Course), lovely setting, good meals
*Cucina's : exquisite Korean dishes
*Boston Pizza: pizza and other dishes
*Forty Eight: pub style restaurant
*Nick's Diner: great for brunch or lunch